Custom designed boxes. Do they really live up to all the hype? Are they worth it? Won’t they be more expensive? More time consuming? More work to design? Perhaps. But after all the time, effort, money, research and everything else that goes into launching or manufacturing your product or brand, how you package it is arguably one of the single most important components of all. Packaging contributes to the overall success of your product once it’s at market. Miss the mark, and you may damage your entire brand perception.
Why Product Box Design Is Integral to Your Brand’s Success
Packaging should be a no brainer. It’s often one of the last parts of the process, and at first thought, it probably seems like it’s the easiest part. Right? If you believe this. We hate to be blunt, but you’re actually wrong. We’d go so far as to say dead wrong. Designing your packaging is integral to your brand’s success. It needs to be cohesive, brand-aware, user-friendly, functional and thoughtful. It should incorporate your branding and messaging that’s important to your customer. For example:
- Are you a green brand? Recycled packaging will be important.
- Is your target demographic young? Packaging should be fresh and fun, eye-catching and social-media worthy.
- Do you have a product for an aging population? Think about ease of opening.
See? There is a lot to think about…
How to Design Custom Product Boxes Online
The Custom Designed Difference
One of the easiest ways to create packaging that sells is by upping your game with custom branding. How do you go about that?
Decide on the Basics:
- First, decide on the type of box style you want.
- Next, decide on 1-color, 2-color or 4+ color printing.
- Finally, decide if you want to print on 2 panels or all 4.
Once you’ve made these decisions, you’re ready to begin the actual design. There are a couple other things you’ll still need to finalize at this point, including how big your logo or image will be and how many different sizes of boxes you’ll need.
Product Packaging Box Designs: Printing Methods
At Custom Boxes Now, we can help you create a custom product box design online by applying three primary printing methods. Depending on your needs and expectations, you can choose from:
- Digital printing: Digital printing features print applied directly to the box — an excellent choice for small orders.
- Litho laminating: Litho laminating yields magazine-quality prints and can produce up to six colors. This printing option is ideal for large orders of 300 boxes or more.
- Flexographic printing: Color is applied directly to a custom product box with flexographic printing, which features three-color print.
Benefits of Choosing the Right-Sized Box for Your Product
As an online retailer, you probably know that one size does not fit all when it comes to custom shipping boxes. Using the same-size shipping container for all your products can be costly — not to mention inefficient. Using a custom-designed product box for each item you ship will help you save significantly while looking more professional.
Custom Boxes Now will give your business the ability to create appropriately sized custom product boxes for your items. Using our online configurator, you can produce the custom product boxes you need in real time. When you choose a box of the right size for your products, you will:
- Eliminate the need for filler material
- Reduce your dimensional weight shipping charges
- Use less corrugated material
Which Box Size Is Right for You?
To determine which box size is appropriate, measure the dimensions of your product — length, width and height. Next, you need to ask yourself whether your product is breakable. If it is, make sure there is space in your box for void fill. Void fill includes materials like:
- Bubble wrap
- Crinkle paper
- Tissue paper
- Packing peanuts
How much void fill is enough? It depends on how breakable your product is. For example, a coffee mug may need 1 inch of void fill on every side, while heavier products may require more. The best way to know if a particular product box can work for your items is to test it out!
Next, consider product bundling for your custom product packaging box. Should you wrap two separate bundled products together or simply place them in a larger product box before shipping? You’ll want to consider a box’s interior dimensions when you’re choosing the appropriate box size for your product. However, for shipping costs, only exterior box dimensions are factored in.
Why Choose Custom Product Boxes Over Plain Product Boxes?
Selecting custom product boxes over plain cardboard or corrugated shipping boxes offers a variety of benefits, enabling you to:
- Keep your products safe
- Increase brand awareness
- Protect the environment
- Inform your customer
- Display additional marketing
- Boost sales
- Increase the perceived quality of your product
- Enhance the unboxing experience for customers
What to Expect When You Order Custom Product Boxes With Your Logo
What You Should Know:
There are several things to keep in mind so you know what to expect when ordering custom printed boxes.
- It may be possible to get your boxes next-day if you order early enough in the day – don’t be afraid to mention you’re in a time crunch and see how a company can help you.
- Different boxes have different strengths – be sure you know how strong you need your box to be: standard, strong or extra strong.
- There is a difference between “Standard Printing” and “Custom Printing” – Standard Printing allows you to choose from common, popular phrases such as “Fragile” or “This End Up.” Custom Printing means you can print your own images, graphics, copy and logo.
It may seem overwhelming to try and come up with a cardboard packaging design that’s perfect for your brand and product, but we promise you, grinding through the process will be worth it in the end. And if you need more convincing, we’ll leave you with this little tidbit of info: A 2013 survey showed that businesses who switched to premium, custom packaging saw an average 30% increase in consumer interest. We can’t imagine you’re not interested in that!
Create a Product Box Design Online With Custom Boxes Now
If you’re ready to make the switch to custom designed boxes, reach out to Custom Boxes Now today to learn more about the process and to hear about how we can help you. We have years of experience creating packaging for brands just like yours, and we look forward to helping you, too!